The crash that happened at 5:17 a.m. Sunday on westbound Interstate 10 killed 13 and injured 31. The Riverside County Corner has released the names of victims. The corners office said ten women and three men died in the bus crash.
They’re identified as:
- Zoila Aguilera, 72, of Los Angeles
- Conception Corvera, 57, of Palmdale
- Dora Galvez de Rodriguez, 69, of Los Angeles
- Ana Gomes de Magalion, 71, of Los Angeles
- Milagros Gonzales, 72, of Los Angeles
- Gustavo Green, 62, of Los Angeles
- Isabel Jimenez Hernandez, 66, of Los Angeles
- Yolanda Mendoza, 69, of Los Angeles
- Rosa Ruiz, 53, of Los Angeles
- Elvia Sanchez, 52, of Los Angeles
- Aracely Tije, 63, of Los Angeles
- Teodulo Vides, 59, of Los Angeles tour bus driver
Furthermore, California Highway Patrol Division Chief Jim Abele said, most of the passengers slept at the time the bus crashed into the back of the tractor trailer truck.
Chief Abele said the crash in his 35 years he never witnessed a crash scene with 13 confirmed fatalities.
However, the bus Abele said the bus passed inspections in 2014, 2015 and April 2016. No mechanical problems reported in these inspections.
The bus at the time of the crash traveled faster than the big rig that slowed because a maintenance crew strung wires across the road in places.
The truck driver felt a thump but clueless to what happened. He said traffic slowed because of the maintenance crew Abele said.
CHP officials said the big rig traveled at about 5 miles per hour when hit by the bus. However, the speed of the bus is unknown at this time.
CHP and the National Traffic Safety Board (NTSB) continue the investigation in the crash. This will include a review of the driver’s activities during the casino trip. Along with the driver’s mental and physical fatigue and if they contributed to the collision.
Furthermore, CHP Abele and Weener said there is no determination in the crash. They expect the investigation to last five to seven days. Therefore, it will be determined what may have contributed to the crash, including a medical condition, distracted driving, fatigue, vision impairment, alcohol or drug impairment.
California Tour Bus Crash: 13 Victims Killed Near Palm …” N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Oct. 2016.